Thursday, February 3, 2011

on cold days

Alright, let me rephrase that one... on cold TEXAS days.
More specifically Texas weather.

I'm going to recap the last five day's temperature's here in College Station:
Sunday: 75
Monday 67
Tuesday: 20 
Wednesday: 23
Thursday: 25
Seriously? How is that temp drop normal? Not to mention that the windchill has kept the temperature feeling like it's between 5 and 15 degrees for the last three days!
But I digress.

I suppose the cold weather wouldn't be as killer if I didn't attend one of the largest campus's in the nation (Texas A&M's campus spans 5,200 acres!), but walked to and from class, to the rec, to the library and the annex and to even just EAT is killer. I feel like it's time for hibernation mode to activate...
Here are a couple of things that I've learned over the years of living right outside of Philadelphia (and have been reminded of now):

1. Layers, layers, layers. Obviously. I've been wearing 2 or 3 shirts, sweatpants layered over sweatpants/sweatpants under jeans, gloves, earmuffs, hat, jacket under jacket, a million pairs of socks and nice warm shoes. It sounds like a lot, but when you walk outside it's like heaven. 
2. Don't worry about people judging you for how much your wearing. They can suck it if they think you're over board. But would you rather be cold as balls or nice and comfy walking to class? I'm usually all for looking cute and stylish, but in this weather my cute clothes wearing is very very VERY limited. Even I know when it's not a good time!
3. Don't blame the cold! Blame the wind! I enjoy the winter because, when it's sunny, there's a gorgeous contrast of warm sunlight and the cold weather. It's one of my favorite feelings ever. But why is it miserable now? Because of the WIND! Especially since here in C-Stat we've been having 15 MPH gusts...

My advice is pretty limited, but this seemed super relevant! 

STAY WARM EVERYONE!
Keep your facet dripping, etc etc. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment